Store: Paulette Macarons
Location: 9466 Charleville Boulevard at Beverly Drive, Beverly Hills, CA 90212 310. 275 0023
Date: March 30, 2011
Cuisine: French Macarons
Rating: Very niche, but some of the best macarons I’ve tasted
Only major metropoli like LA, NY, and San Francisco can support places like this. A dedicated French macaroon bakery! I’m not exactly sure why it is that macarons have taken off (at least in LA) during the last year or two, but they have. Not that I mind, I’ve always been a fan of french baking and macarons specifically. I enjoy the some texture and intense flavors. Previously I would only get them in the petite fours courses at very high end resteraunts, now I can have them with the incomparable Cafe Luxxe coffee — or here.
They had 13 flavors on display when I went in. I tried 11 of them. These are decadent little treats, but not exactly “good value” at $19 for 12!
You can get little towers of them if you are so inclined.
Here is my little $19 worth. General notes: the texture was nicely soft, and the fillings distinct and generous. These were a bit firmer and less spongy than some macarons, but still marvelous, probably 8/10 on texture, 10/10 on flavor. The really great thing about these macarons is how intense the flavor is.
Left to right:
1. Peanut – Like a little nutter butter.
2. Colombian Coffee – one of the weaker flavors. Good, but I would have preferred more intense.
3. Sicilian Pistachio - also a little mild, but certainly pistachio flavored, like one of the bands of spumoni ice cream.
4. Carmel and Salt – Amazing, although perhaps Tavern (SEE HERE) makes a slightly punchier variant. The carmel itself was wonderful.
5. Sweet Wedding Almond – Amazing too. This had that perfect marzipan almond taste. Not something everyone might love, but I certainly did.
6. Coffee again
7. Violet Cassis – Really yummy, intense, and interesting. Flowery and fruity all at once.
8. Passion fruit – 9/10 for intensity (more is more with passion fruit).
9. Caribbean Chocolate – The middle was delectable, the outside merely good.
10. Lemon – intense and nice, like a lemon tart.
11. Rose – wow. I loved this one. Like the almond, not for everyone, but tasted like Turkish Delight or Persian wedding treats.
12. Coconut – very nice fresh toasted coconut flavor.